primary school sport
Wesport works with 345 primary schools across Bristol, South Gloucestershire, North Somerset and Bath & North East Somerset (B&NES) to support them in developing high quality PE and school sports provision to enable children to develop good physical literacy skills and lead a healthy, active life. We are funded by Sport England to ensure all primary schools are spending the PE & Sports Premium funding effectively to create sustainable opportunities that will benefit pupils in years to come.
why invest in pe and sport?
The Chief Medical Officer guidelines for children aged 5-11 is to take part in 60 minutes of physical activity every day. As mentioned in the Childhood Obesity Strategy, it is now every school’s responsibility to help children achieve 30 of those minutes in school time. Daily physical activity is fundamental for children’s physical, mental and social wellbeing and will help them make more informed choices about continuing participation as they grow older. Integrating physical activity across your school can contribute to whole school achievement by having the following impacts on children:
- Improved mental wellbeing and self-esteem
- Develop confidence and social interaction
- Better concentration and behaviour in class
- Helps children feel part of a team
- Builds confidence and social skills
- Develop resilience
what support can we offer?
We have developed a broad offer of support to enable us to cater for the needs of every school across the four Unitary Authority areas. Most of our services are free to schools to access, with the exception of some training courses, conferences and the PE Mentor Scheme. If you would like to benefit from any of the services listed below please contact Alice Miller on 0117 328 6257 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- PE Co-ordinator networking opportunities
- 1:1 support for individual schools
- Annual PE conference
- Teacher CPD courses
- PE Mentor Scheme
- Advice in developing competitive sport through the School Games programme
- Help developing links with local sports clubs - see Downloads section for a list of suggested clubs and Club Link Agreement form
- Guidance on recruiting external coaches
- Guidance on developing a Health & Wellbeing offer in your school