primary school sport
Wesport works with 345 primary schools across Bristol, South Gloucestershire, North Somerset and Bath & North East Somerset (B&NES) to support them in developing high quality PE and school sports provision to enable children to develop good physical literacy skills and lead a healthy, active life. We are funded by Sport England to ensure all primary schools are spending the PE & Sports Premium funding effectively to create sustainable opportunities that will benefit pupils in years to come.
what support can we offer?
Our dedicated Project Officer, Alice Miller, is committed to helping as many schools as possible through a range of different support mechanisms. If you would like to find out more about any of the opportunities listed below please email email@example.com or call 0117 328 6257. Please visit the other pages in this section for more information about the Primary Sports Premium and other advice.
- PE Co-ordinator networking opportunities
- 1:1 support for individual schools
- Annual PE conference
- Teacher CPD courses
- Advice in developing competitive sport through the School Games programme
- Advice around linking physical activity/sport to health initiatives
- Help developing links with local sports clubs - see Downloads section for a list of suggested clubs and Club Link Agreement form
why should schools invest in pe and sport?
The Chief Medical Officer guidelines for children aged 5-11 is to take part in 60 minutes of physical activity every day. As mentioned in the Childhood Obesity Strategy, it is now every school’s responsibility to help children achieve 30 of those minutes in school time. Daily physical activity is fundamental for children’s physical, mental and social wellbeing and teaching them about the impact it has on their bodies will help them make more informed choices about continuing participation as they grow older.
Integrating physical activity across your school can contribute to whole school achievement by having the following impacts on children:
- Improved mental wellbeing and self-esteem
- Better concentration and behaviour in class
- Helps children feel part of a team
- Builds confidence and social skills
- Develop resilience
- Improved sleep = better learning and concentration