Get ‘Inspired’ through Sportivate!
The Wesport Sportivate programme has been granted the Inspire Mark, the badge of the London 2012 Inspire Programme. The London 2012 Inspire programme recognises innovative and exceptional projects that are directly inspired by the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Sportivate is a nationwide campaign that will capture the excitement of the London 2012 Games by providing opportunities for teenagers and young adults (aged 14-25) to receive coaching in a sport of their choice and guide them into regular participation within their community.
Wesport is managing the programme, which will see accessible and sustainable activities taking place throughout the year across the West of England. The activities on offer will cover a wide range of sports including netball, rugby, football and dance, through to cheerleading and yoga, to name just a few.
With the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games just around the corner there has never been a better opportunity to take part in sport and physical activity and be part of the mass participation legacy of the Games.
Seb Coe, Chair, London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games said:
“The Inspire programme is ensuring the legacy of the 2012 Games starts now as projects like Sportivate:Wesportare enabling people in the West of Englandto make positive life changes.”
- End -
Notes to Editors
- About Sportivate: Sportivate is a nationwide campaign that will capture the excitement of the London 2012 Games by providing opportunities for teenagers and young adults (aged 14-25) to receive coaching in a sport of their choice and guide them into regular participation within their community. Sport England will invest £32 million of National Lottery funding into the programme, which aims to involve 300,000 participants in weekly coaching sessions, with 120,000 of those continuing to play sport regularly.
- For further details on Sportivate go to the Wesport website at www.wesport.org.uk/sportivate
- About the Inspire programme: The Inspire programme is run by the London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games. It is an opportunity for everyone to be a part of the London 2012 Games – a broad participation programme spanning sport participation, education, sustainability, volunteering, and business opportunities & skills. New opportunities are being created to inspire young people and encourage the whole of the UK to join in.
- About London 2012: The London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games are delivered by two key organisations – the London 2012 Organising Committee (LOCOG) and the Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA).
- LOCOG is responsible for staging a memorable Games in 2012. They will deliver the best possible Olympic and Paralympic Games experience for everyone involved, enabling a lasting legacy and inspiring people to join in.