Coach Core is about changing the lives of young people in some of the UK’s most challenging cities through a new, innovative and engaging sports coaching apprenticeship. By harnessing a number of qualifications, experiences and additional learning opportunities, our goal is to ensure each apprentice goes onto further education or employment and provides greater coaching provision in the communities in which they serve.
Coach Core, created by The Royal Foundation in 2012 as part of the Olympic Legacy, aims to create inspirational sports coaches to deliver sport in the community, and particularly in communities that have traditionally had poor access to high-quality, professional coaching. Born from an ambition to create a more exciting sports coaching apprenticeship that reflects the role and the communities in which they serve, we seek to bring together employer partners from each respective city so that it shapes around their needs.
Coach Core strives to offer an unparalleled programme of learning combining a sports apprenticeship and national governing body qualifications alongside a number of additional cutting-edge coaching modules, employability workshops and access to events and CPD others can’t provide.
- A 12-month Activity Leadership apprenticeship incorporating the Level 2 Diploma for exercise professionals.
- Working hours are contracted at 30 hours per week with approximately 1-2 days per week set aside for collective learning and the rest spent with the employers coaching programmes.
- Commitment to attaining a minimum of one National Governing Body certificate at Level 2 standard.
- Coach Core modules: a series of bespoke, practical learning modules that undertake the underpinning coaching principles of the programme; positive environments, child centred and fun, engaging sessions that challenge each individual at their own pace and ability.
- Employability workshops and opportunities to prepare each apprentice for the next stage of their journey.
- Access to masterclasses, technical workshops and events that enhance the learning and motivation of each apprentice through opportunities created by the Royal Foundation or the employer/s.
- Minimum standards for deployment with each employer including emergency aid and safeguarding plus the necessary Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks as standard.