Wesport works to create, inspire and empower through sport and physical activity.
Wesport was established as a sports charity in 2006. It champions active lives in local communities by creating inspirational and innovative opportunities for more people to experience the benefits of sport and physical activity. We have also successfully delivered national programmes as part of the County Sports Partnership National Network on behalf of Sport England and other partners.
We covers the four unitary authorities – Bristol, Bath and North East Somerset, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire – that together constitute the West of England area. Its main activities include:
- Working with a wide variety of local partners, enabling the delivery (directly and indirectly) of nationally-funded sports programmes,
- Providing leadership, expertise and resources to improve the variety and accessibility of sporting opportunities forlocal people by actively developing clubs, coaching and volunteering,
- Supporting sporting activities in educational establishments, schools, colleges and universities,
- Connecting with community organisations, such as disability, black and minority ethnic, women and girls groups, social housing and community health organisations to get more people involved in sport and physical activity.
We have an excellent track record, in our ten year history, changing perceptions, enabling delivery and bringing additional resources (over £9m) for sport and physical activity into the West of England. This track record stands us in good stead as we start on the next ambitious stage of our growth and development.
Our 2020 vision and focused mission:
Wesport will contribute to improving lives in the West of England through championing, developing and delivering sport and physical activity.
Create, Inspire and Empower through Sport and Physical Activity.
We has adopted these values and use them to help guide our work and our decisions. Our values are:
> Wesport 2016 to 2020 Strategy – Improving Lives
In August 2016 we released our new strategy. Improving Lives, will guide our development and actions over the next four years, as sport and physical activity moves toward the centre ground as a key tool, impacting on the nations’ health and wellbeing.
Our new strategy highlists our key priorities for 2016 – 2020, these are:
- Be integral to, and embedded within, the local delivery landscape of sport and physical activity
- Impact on long term behavioural change to increase regular participation in sport and physical activity
- Continue to win the right to manage and deliver national programmes, effectively and efficiently
- Diversify and increase funding to reinvest in achieving Wesport’s charitable purpose
- Increase Wesport’s visibility, influence and profile
To download a copy of our new 2016-2020 strategy please visit www.wesport.org.uk/improvinglives.
Need more information?
Telephone: 0117 328 6250
Click on the link above to download a copy of Wesport's 2016-2020 Strategy.
If you would like to see the impact of the programmes involved in our Try it, Love it, Live it campaign, you can watch some of our videos here.
Wesport is a member of the County Sport Partnerhsip Network (CSPNetwork). Click on the link above to find out more information.