Wesport, Team West of England, SportsAid South West, Bristol City Council, South Gloucestershire Council, Bath and North East Somerset Council, North Somerset Council, Burges Salmon Solicitors and The University of Bath - Department of Sports Development and Recreation, have all joined forces to provide grants and facilities to support the West of England's young elite athletes.
Springboard was founded by a previous trainee at Burges Salmon, Ed Coode, an Olympic Gold Medallist. As well as offering financial assistance to talented young athletes, Ed wanted to ensure that there was some additional support outside of their training and school/work routine. Burges Salmon is therefore pleased to be able to offer to Springboard award winners a mentoring scheme where we offer to do the following:
- To get increased publicity by using Burges Salmon's media contacts to publicise sporting achievements both within the firm and outside e.g. local newspapers.
- To offer a level of free technical help and advice on a wide range of issues such as CV's, job applications, college/university applications and possibly one day sponsorship agreements.
A contact outside of athlete's normal work/school routine.
How it works
Grants are allocated once a year to performance athletes who fulfill the criteria listed below.
- Athletes are given a cash sum in the region of £300-£600 for transport, training, equipment and competition costs.
- Athletes are given a one year subscription to two of the Springboard Access Cards listed below, allowing free entry to sport and leisure facilities for training.
- Advice and support from Burges Salmon Solicitors is provided and pro bono legal advice if needed.
Criteria to qualify
Individuals will only be considered for funding if:
- You are a permanent resident with a Bristol, Bath and North East Somerset, North Somerset or South Gloucestershire postcode, a resident living temporarily outside for purpose of study or you are a member of a Bristol, Bath and North East Somerset, North Somerset or South Gloucestershire club or squad.
- The sport in which you are participating is recognised by Sport England.
- Your personal circumstances indicate a need for financial support to assist your sporting development.
- You are aged between 12 to 18 years old. Priority is normally given to those aged 12 to 16 years old, who are National team or squad members.
- Disabled athletes may apply until age 35.
- In exceptional cases, applications may still be considered if you are above the age range but meet the sporting criteria and show that you have performed with distinction at International level in Commonwealth or Olympic sports. You must not be receiving any other funding help.
- You are able to demonstrate currently high level of attainment, having an England or Great Britain top 10 ranking in your age group or are a member of an England or Great Britain squad.
- Your application is supported by the relevant National Governing Body. (SportsAid will check this before your application is thoroughly reviewed).
- You are not in receipt of a current individual National Lottery Sports fund or a TASS/TASS 2012 award.
- Athletes may only receive a maximum of 3 Springboard grants.
|Team West of England|
|SportsAid South West|
|Bristol City Council|
|North Somerset Council|
|Bath and North East Somerset Council|
|South Gloucestershire Council|
|The University of Bath - Department of Sports Development and Recreation|